Thursday, September 20, 2012

A Still Warrior

Isn’t it amusing sometimes where the mind wanders off to? (well…my mind does anyway) Often I can’t even trace the path back to what ever started it in the direction where it ended up. That happened today.

For some reason I was thinking about the meaning of names. Do they make a difference? Beats me. All I know is that I chose the name Kelly before I had the slightest clue as to what it means. And yet somehow it fits me well…most of the time.

Kelly means Warrior.

Ok now don’t panic! I’m not going to hurt you! But it got me thinking about being a warrior. I have had an exchange with another sister on this similar journey involving one thousand gifts. We are both trying to “be still”…to “wait” How does a warrior be still? Doesn’t seem to fit really.

I have always loved the battle…the challenge. A born risk-taker, not much scares me really. Except perhaps boredom…that scares me! Hence the problem with “being still”. I’m not a passive person by nature. I want to discover, explore, try new things, solve problems, make things better, fix things (and sometimes people – not always appreciated!). All those “doing” things.

For everything there is a season…A time for war and a time for peace. (Ecclesiastes 3:8b) Lately the battle has been pitched and bloody and relentless. Many times I have called for help to keep on. Like Moses when Joshua was battling the Amalekites. His hands grew tired and Aaron and Hur held his hands up for him. (#18) I thank Abba continually that He has blessed me with family and heart-sisters and brothers who helped me battle when I was exhausted.

Could this time of “being still” be the same as a time of peace for a warrior? A time to recuperate, rejuvenate, and just rest? In my mind I see photos of our troops in Afghanistan, sleeping in full gear, wherever they can find a bit of shade or respite from the sun and wind.

Sometimes we just can’t fight any longer today. We need some R & R. Warriors need that. To get away from the battle, gain a new perspective before heading back into the fray.

So today, I can see the blessing of “being still”…”waiting”…R & R. (#19) Now to use this time as it is intended. To go with it instead of fighting it and chaffing to get back to the “doing” bits.

Today at least….I get it…..

2 comments:

  1. Good for you. And now that you have this blog, you can come back and remind yourself why the warrior needs to be still sometimes. Rest in Him. Love you lots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another thing - I have heard your voice so many times reminding me not to rehearse to myself the lies recently being hurled at me. Thanks for being the kind of friend that is brave and honest enough to hold me accountable and show me a better way!

    ReplyDelete