Sunday, September 23, 2012

Confessions of a Junk Junkie

They say confession is good for the soul.

Here's hoping they are right!

My confession? I'm a junk junkie.... a major pack rat....a dumpster diver even.  In my own defense I have to say that it is a common characteristic of many mixed media artists.  So at least I'm not alone.

And some of us have raised this "addiction" to a whole new level. My husband (and when she lived with us - my now 5 year old granddaughter) throw nothing away without asking me first if I want it for an art project.  My granddaughter has kept the wrapper from a granola bar - "I can use it for an art project, Nani!"

Oh great...not only am I an addict...I'm a pusher!! Sad realization.......

So what is so alluring about junk? Rusted pieces of metal.....Odd shaped pieces of wood...Stray buttons and ribbons...


The list is extensive believe me....even including a little tool cabinet drawer with rattlesnake bones, porcupine quills and buffalo teeth.


I try...really I do...to throw some of the "junk" out on occasion.  But alas...it seldom happens.  There is this overriding feeling that "someday it could be a very important part of a beautiful piece of art!" 

Some "junk" I find and immediately have plans for it. Other times a bit just grabs my attention and I haul it away. If it grabs me then surely it will become art someday...right?

(stick with me now....this is headed somewhere...)

If you drive by my house you will see what looks rather like a rusty junk yard on the side of our house. An extension of my art studio actually.  Hidden away there (although probably not hidden enough for our neighbors) are pieces of various sizes or metal in various stages of rusting. This summer they made some AMAZING rusted fabrics! And next summer they will make some more!



 I have drawers of odd bits - mesh onion bags, bubble wrap, plastic shower mat shaped like rocks, a couple of lotus pods.... Well...you get the picture.


And don't get me started on old watch parts!!!!!

And again I face the question - what makes all this so interesting????  I see the potential!!! Really I do. Most often OTHERS definitely DON'T see any potential. But they don't see it through my eyes! (#42)




And then yesterday it hit me......

Abba is a junk junkie, too! (#43) Think about it....

He doesn't collect odd bits of metal and wood and shells.  BUT......He DOES collect some very odd individuals! Pieces discarded by the world. Sometimes found in a dumpster or a pile of refuse washed up on a beach somewhere.  Rejects..."junk". 

Another confession....I sometimes don't see what He sees in them. But then I'm reminded....HE is the artist on this project. HE sees them with the eyes of the Great Creator...the Ultimate Creator...the source of all creativity! (#44)









Some of this "junk" He uses in an immediate project. Some He knows will fit perfectly in His next beautiful piece. And some just grab His eye and He knows that with time and patience, we will become a very important part of an amazing piece of His design.

So now....I find myself considering that when I meet some of the "junk" I want to see them through HIS eyes....eyes that see potential no matter how hidden.

And you know what? I hope others will look through His eyes when they see me.  A re-purposed former piece of rejected "junk".

So...yes...I'm a junk junkie.

But....I think I'm in very good company

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful revelation, and absolutely true. Love the pictures today. :-)

    ReplyDelete