Friday, October 5, 2012

In Opposition

This has been morphing in my mind for days now.

How often His ways are opposite....so we are opposite.

A few years back, I did a textile piece entitled "Life Upside Down - and Slightly Off-Kilter"  At the time, it was an expression of just how life's current situation had turned my life upside down and thrown me off-kilter. I had a vision of what my life would be like at that stage of my existence.  And it wasn't THAT!  Days and hours that were my own were then spoken for by many others. My space was no longer just mine. Adjustments were definitely called for...and made. Creating this art was my way of coming to terms with life being the opposite of what I had dreamed


And I remember that so much of His calling is in opposition.

Opposition to what "makes sense"

Who loses his life for My sake will gain it.

Give and you will receive.

The meek will inherit the earth, not the forceful.

Beauty for ashes

How many times His path has lead His children in opposition to the "sense making" path.  I think of the Israelites facing the Red Sea. To them....well....that just didn't make sense at all. Until God showed up.



I want to see God, to face in the opposite direction from the "sense" makers and the fearful.

The prophet Isaiah was told to go and preach to this people. And God told him ahead of time that no one would listen.  THAT didn't make "sense", not an effecient use of time and talents for sure!  But he went...he obeyed. And THAT was his success.

And there are many other examples.

Opposite and upside down....not the "norm"

Don't be conformed but be transformed.  Being opposite with Him is a great thing.  Following Him is often upside down. And we can leave upside down in our wake.

His disciples were known for it.

But when they did not find them, they dragged Jason and some brethren to the rulers of the city, crying out, “These who have turned the world upside down have come here too." (Acts 17:6)


When we follow Him even when it doesn't make "sense"....we are in for the ride of our lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment